empire-of-the-crystal

Want a FREE Breaking Bad T-Shirt?

GeekZenith is giving away 3 entirely awesome Breaking Bad t-shirts! Want one? Then head over to The Great GeekZenith Give Away Page and follow the 3 easy steps to enter.

6 reasons why Community is much more awesome than The Big Bang Theory

Community: The Dark Thriller!

With the news that Community is highly likely to be renewed for a fourth season hitting the interwebs this week, I thought I’d do a feature post combining my love of the show, whilst at the same time dumping on a show that has considerably dropped in my estimation over the past couple of seasons.

This may be a controversial post, then again may be it isn’t any more. Just for the record, I’ve watched both TV shows since the very beginning. I own all available seasons on DVD and I have watched them multiple times, but over the last couple of season I feel The Big Bang Theory has gone seriously downhill. Yet it gets much better ratings than it’s much better counter part Community and for the life of me, I can’t figure out why…

So I decided to compose this list in the hopes of converting people from The Big Bang Theory to the much more awesome Community TV show.

6. It’s just better.

Okay, so may be a biased start, but it doesn’t make it any less truthful. All ways I can think of it, the show is just better. Hands down. No argument. I strongly believe if any one who gets upset and/or argues this point just hasn’t watched an episode of Community. If you are one of these people, please go watch just one episode first. Your opinion will change – maybe not right away, but over the time you’re devouring every episode you can possibly get your hands on. No more than a couple of days, if you’re like me.

Alison Brie is hotter than Kelly Cuoco

5. Alison Brie is Hotter than Kelly Cuoco

Okay, so this may REALLY may be a controversial point to make even for Community fans and is of course all down to personal opinion, but for Alison Brie just oozes sex appeal. She’s hotter, a much better actor and much funnier than Cuoco too. She also has a MASSIVE…personality. Yeah. Personality. That’s definitely what I meant.

Don’t believe me? Check this out:

4. Community has better story telling ability

Community creator just plain knows how to tell a story and it shows in each and every episode Community puts out. Whereas, I can clearly remember at least half a dozen episodes of The Big Bang Theory where the show just ended. Barely any story to begin with and then, it just ended. I had to rewind the damn thing just to make sure I hadn’t missed anything and that’s just poor. Granted this is only on some of the episodes in the later seasons of the show, but still. If you’ve got no more ideas left in the tank, don’t just try and milk it for every cent you can get. Show a little pride and self-respect.

That said, I sometimes wonder whether Community will be the same during it’s fifth season on the air. But then I dismiss the notion as I quickly remember just how awesome each and every episode of the show is.

3. Community is more consistent than The Big Bang Theory

As I mentioned above, I like The Big Bang Theory in the early seasons. The same old gags the show is relying on now to sustain itself weren’t all that old back then and I genuinely enjoyed the show. But was it consistent good? Was it consistently funny? Was it consistently entertaining? The answer is no. Community on the other hand is a completely different story. Each and every episode is packed with awesome storylines that can make you laugh, cry or horny at the drop of a hat. It’s consistently awesome.

2. The cast of Community has more chemistry on and off screen.

I follow some of the cast of Community on Twitter (my Twitter handle is @geekzenith BTW thanks for asking) and they’re always laughing and joking around. They socialise together. They support each other. Joel McHale’s show The Soup always seems to have one of his fellow Community cast members on the show. Alison Brie tweeted late last year about being behind the scenes at a Childish Gambino (Community cast mate Donald Glover) gig. She posts a number of pictures and vids of her and Danny Pudi goofing around backstage. When the cast found out that season 2 had been picked up, they even celebrated together (see video below). It’s just awesome how close they are.

As for The Big Bang Theory cast…well…um…I heard that Kelly Cuoco and Johnny Galecki were dating for a time…doesn’t that count?

1. The Big Bang Theory are relying on one stand out character to make the show, Community has at least Six.

Sheldon is the go to guy and the arguably the saviour for the show. The other characters play off him and these days (if not always, thinking about it) each and every episode seems to be centred around him. Community on the other hand consistently focuses on multiple memebers of the cast and continues to be awesome regardless. Even when focusing upon some of the slightly less interesting characters, the show is laugh out loud funny and is always rewatchable. Always.

In conclusion, Community is awesome and The Big Bang Theory is clearly rapidly losing creativity and reason.

What do you think? Is Community a much better show than The Big Bang Theory or am I talking out of my ass? If you like The Big Bang Theory better, why? Have you ever watched Community? And for Community lovers out there, am I missing any reasons why Community is clearly better than The Big Bang Theory? Please let me know in the comments section below!

US readers: if you don’t have the first two seasons of Community on DVD, I must insist you buy them here! Save the show!

And for US readers who may have missed an episode in season 3 thusfar, why not download them now via Amazon Instant Video for just $1.99 each!

For UK readers:

Check out these related posts of interest::

31 Responses to 6 reasons why Community is much more awesome than The Big Bang Theory

1. Maria says:

Although I completely agree with you….it will help if you got peoples names right – like JOEL McHale…JOHNNY Galecki…you know…basic research! :-)

2. The Master of Awesomeness says:

Yep, you totally called me on it! Apologies – changed!

3. Nomark says:

you bastard!, you’ve drawn me in on this…..

a repeat episode of TBBT gets more viewers than any new episode of community

Kelly Cuoco in a Wonder Woman outfit hands down beats some bint in a Mrs Clause outfit

Stephen Hawking is making a cameo in TBBT

Lenord Nimoy is making a cameo in TBBT (sort off)

There isn’t six characters in community just Chevy Chase

you haven’t played/beaten me in a game of rock, paper, scissors, spock, lizzard

community is so good they stop mid season to mull over if they should cancel it

while in TBBT 4th season it had been picked up for another 3 years

also during its 4th season it became television’s highest rated comedy, just barely beating out eight-year champ Two and a Half Men.

that’s it Ill agree that the new season of TBBT hasn’t been up to scratch, but no TV show is ever really perfect well not since Gerry Andersons Space Precinct……..;)

4. The Master of Awesomeness says:

I don’t think TBBT is necessaily bad, I’m just saying Community is much better. Have you ever watched an episode of Community? No. I didn’t think so.

And I realise TBBT is getting more viewers – that’s what’s annoying me. Lazy writing and unfunny plots, but that’s what the general public gets you. The general public watches X-Factor and goddamn soap opera’s. You wanna be grouped in with that crowd go rioght ahead.

5. Nomark says:

I tried to watch the pilot and just didnt find it funny.

and where are you getting the general public are watching TBBT, I dont know any normo’s who watch it. I know plenty of like minded geeks and nerds who watch TBBT

and your the only person I know who bangs on about community and queer as folk

Ill stick with the xfactor crowd then thanks

6. Nomark says:

p.s I thought Id get that in before you did :)

7. The Master of Awesomeness says:

All’s I’m saying is, if you give Community as much time as you gave this current godawful TBBT season, you’d be a converted man.

8. Chrissy says:

First of all I watch both shows but you are right Community is far superior to TBBT. While I enjoy TBBT I am never in a hurry to watch it like I am Community. I agree with you on all points but there are a few things you left on your list of reasons why Community is better…

Community’s social and cultural references and jokes are smarter and delievered better than any they attempt on The Big bang Theory

Community is just straight up more clever.

Community, at it’s worst, is comparable to TBBT at it’s best.

It was clear to me that NOMARK does not watch Community when he said “There isn’t six characters in community just Chevy Chase”, while I love him on this show (as I do the whole cast) Pierce is not even amoung the top 5 best characters.

I like TBBT but it doesn’t hold a candle to Community (or Parks and Recreation).

9. Justin Holliman says:

I also watch both shows, and I have to agree that community is better.

To those people who haven’t watched community give it a chance. I’ll admit the first couple of episodes are not that great, but what show is great right away?

My only real problem with Big bang theory is that I always feel like they are playing it safe. These characters are pretty much the same as they were 5 years ago. I want to see these characters grow, because they are interesting. Let’s see Sheldon become more social, or Raj become a ladies man, or how about Howard moves out of his damn mother’s house. All I am saying is that don’t be scared to try something new.

That’s one thing you could never accuse community of is being scared of trying something new, and if you don’t believe me check out some of these episodes.

Contemporary American Poultry S1 Ep21
    Modern Warfare S1 Ep23
    Basic Rocket Science S2 ep4
    Epidemiology S2 ep 6
    Cooperative Calligraphy S2 ep8
    Conspiracy Theories and Interior Design S2 ep9
    Advanced Dungeons & Dragons S2 ep14 (If you think that BBT gets geeky check out this episode)
    Critical Film Studies S2 ep19
    Paradigms of Human Memory S2 ep21
    Remedial Chaos Theory S3 ep4 (Not only is it one of the best episodes of community ever, it might be one of the best episodes of television ever)
    Documentary Filmmaking: Redux S3 ep8

Check out some of these episodes and then tell me that the actors and writers don’t have the nerve to try something new.

10. Shut the fuck up, Normack. I hope you get AIDS from the sponge stuffed in an empty flashlight that you fuck instead of a real girl.

11. BlazingRebel says:

@Nomark congratu-horrible on your latest argument. Just because more people watch bbt doesn’t make it a better show. The bbt audience is a bunch of Schmittys who have to be told when to laugh.

Here is a joke that my friend wrote for the show.

Blonde girl: “You guys want to get some ice cream?”
    Nerd who for some reason wins Emmys: “Is 8 the 27th digit of pi?”
    Blond girl: “OOh…we can get pie too!”
    LAUGH TRACK

That is your show in a nutshell.

12. Brian says:

I think you nailed it with points #1 and #2. Whenever I enjoy TBBT, it’s because of Sheldon. All the characters on TBBT are fairly one-dimensional, and it happens that Sheldon is the only character whose dimension I find particularly funny. With Community, perhaps it’s easier to avoid having characters just hit the same notes over and over because there are so many different combinations of the characters to consider in different episodes, and each combination brings out a different aspect of those characters.
    Your point #2 really hit me when watching the Paley Center talks with the casts of Community and Modern Family. For Modern Family, they said numerous times how great the cast worked together and how much fun they had, and yet there was a high number of awkward silences during the talk. In contrast, during Community’s talk, the cast constantly played off each other for the entire 80 minutes, so much so that at times I forgot there was an interviewer there. I would love Community even if everyone hated each other off screen, but I think the fact that they have such chemistry on screen and off really shows in the finished product.

13. StinkyP1nky says:

Even odds that Nomark also DVRs 2 Broke Girls

14. Sib says:

But… Community has Chevy Chase.
    That makes BBT better.

15. The Master of Awesomeness says:

I can see how anybody could possibly agree with THAT argument TBH.

16. Awesomesauce45 says:

@Sib, Yes Chevy’s a dick, but he’s at least good on the show unlike Johnny Galecki who is one of the reasons TBBT sucks more.

17. rebel101 says:

community
    jeff winger : Conversation was invented by humans to conceal reality. We use it to sweet talk our way around natural selection. You know who has real conversations? Ants. They talk by vomiting chemicals into each others’ mouths. bleeehhh *vomiting sound* “Which way’s the picnic?” bleeeehhh*vomiting sound* “That way.” Humans are more evolved, we lie.

the big bang theory
    Sheldon: Stop it both of you! All this fighting, I might as well be back with my parents!
    *Imitating his Mom* Dammit George! I told you if you didn’t quit drinking I would leave you!
    *Imitating his Dad* Well, I guess that makes you a liar, because I’m drunk as hell and you are still here!
    *Imitating his Mom* Stop yelling, you’re making Sheldon cry!
    *Imitating his Dad* I’ll tell you what is making Sheldon cry, that I let you name him SHELDON!

the big bang theory always gets waaaayyy more rating than community…yeah i’m losing faith on humanity that stupidity always win and things that mass majority likes ALWAYS WILL BE OVERRATED.

18. Jonathan says:

You know what I totally agree community is better…….. Bazinga Sheldon voice like come on really tbbt is to freakin awesome

19. Chris says:

This shit’s not even close. Community is brilliant. Which is why it has awful ratings. Big Bang Theory is garbage. Just. Absolutely. Rancid. Garbage. Which is why it has great ratings. Welcome to privately run network television! It’s not YOU who gets to decide what stays on television, it’s your RETARDED NEIGHBOR who didn’t graduate from college, works a shit job, and is probably drunk. The only people who regularly watch shows ON THEIR TV’S are the country’s lowest common denominator. It’s sad and I understand it, but it’s still hard to accept.

PS: I’m in love with Alison Brie.

20. admin says:

Excellent point, Chris!

Or it’s those girls who think just because they own a pair of glasses, they’re a nerd. Nooooopppppeeeee!

21. Chang-e says:

TBBT relies on laugh tracks to get laughs, whilst Community really gets you laughing.

Big Bang Without Laughter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfFd_wOQsGQ

Community: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=77ouAB_ZDpw&NR=1

22. Nick says:

@Chris:

Everybody is in love with Alison Brie. I feel bad for Gillian Jacobs, she’s hot too but she doesn’t get any attention whatsoever.

23. Leyla says:

Damn, people, you need to take a serious chill pill… I get you’re angry that Community might not get another season while TBBT (which I think is at least equally as funny) gets so much audience, but way to go and insult the f*** out of every TBBT fan who gives reasons why it is a good show.

24. Doesn'twatchtoomuchtv says:

First, I would like to say I ,only recently (three days ago), discovered community and realized what an amazing show it was and was wondering what made the show so amazing (sidenote: I have already finished watching all 3 seasons online). Maybe it is because it is very relatable since I myself am also currently in university or maybe it was because I am a person with a closetted eccentric personality or maybe it was Annie’s boobs (both the monkey and the originals). As a former TBBT fan who stopped watching TBBT a while ago, I felt it was getting a bit redundant and focused on sex. It was basically turning into the nerdy version of two and a half men. So first a little sour followed by some sweet, since TBBT can be a genuinely enjoyable show for some people and since I did love TBBT uptil and around the third season, where the introduction of Amy Farrah Fowler threw me off a bit. Though I think Maiyim Bialik is a brilliant and wonderful woman, I feel that the writers should have invested more effort into her character, who was not as loveabley eccentric like Sheldon and whose presence felt contrived simply for the sake of coupling up Sheldon with someone. The laughtrack in the Big Bang Theory is also what led me to stop liking the show. Somewhere along the show I discovered that I had developed a pavlovian laugh thanks to that laugh track, which oversimplified the comedy by continuosly pointing out the parts where the audience is supposed to laugh, rather than letting it happen organically through the audience’s realization and comprehension of the joke such as shows like community, the office and modern family. When the show started the jokes were relatable since I was a science student, they were hilarious and were esotericaly funny which made it even more enjoyable. Currently they constantly explain every science joke they make, for example “Howard (to Penny/group) : Next week I am headed to (someplace) for zero gravity elimination drills. Penny : What does that mean? Bernadette (in Bernadette voice [which is what was supposed to make it funny]) : It means he is going to learn to poop in space.”
    Secondly, their jokes have become a bit more predictable as well as gimmicky and derivitive, such as jokes about apps and Raj’s musical shirt which almost seems like a product placement. One of my more annoying examples of predictibility is the line ‘Here we go’ delivered by Leonard and Penny everytime Sheldon explains his idiosyncrasies. Another problem I have with the show is with some of the characters, namely Leonard and Amy. Leonard being inconceivably gullible, sometimes idiotic, and extremely whiny and who almost never seems to learn from experience despite being a holder of a Phd. (which is understandable about Howard since he just has a Masters). But Leonard never seems to employ the scientific method to the occurences in life which I find a bit annoying. Amy basically came along as a female equivalent of Sheldon which, I felt created a lot of redundancy in the character profiles.

There are a lot more things I could complain about, but no show is perfect, so now for the sugar. TBBT is a good show, even though the writers might be getting a bit worn, but after 5 seasons that is possible for almost any show. I believe that despite being one of the annoying things about the show, the laugh track and the simplified jokes are what allow it to have a larger audience. The laugh track assists those who are not quite proficient with English or American humour to give a seond thought about the why line that was delivered was funny. The simplified jokes not only allow a larger audience to understand them, but allow the show to be easily translated into other languages for an international audience and allows the jokes to work in other languages. So far the post was in defence of the BBT and less about community so as to take a more neutral approach to the arguement and so that the TBBT fans don’t feel constantly assaulted.

But I emphatically believe that ‘Community’ is the better show and that it definitely deserves more recognition for it. And so I ask the more reasonable TBBT fans to open their minds to different and (hopefully in their opinion) a better style of comedy.

25. Paps says:

BTW, how does the second season video have anything to do with chemistry? They all hated Chase, that’s why he recently left the show. He wanted to leave after S1, so they’re poking fun at him. Why do you think he’s sitting in the corner not saying a peep?

26. Idi 'Big Daddy' Amin says:

Community is light-years better than The Big Bang Theory. The writing is intelligent and imaginative, the characters are well-rounded with none of the Flanderisation that’s been a cornerstone of TBBT since its inception, the scope for storylines is far greater than the hackneyed old “two genders live in close proximity and try to have sex in various combinations” premise, and the biggest advantage Community has over TBBT is that it doesn’t feature Sheldon Cooper, the most hateful—for all the wrong reasons—TV character in history. I literally seethe with rage at his every line, motion and facial expression. I mean, I hate Eric Cartman because he’s the worst human being ever conceived, but he makes me laugh through his horrific acts. Sheldon, meanwhile, simply exists to be despised. If, as has been suggested, he’s supposed to be autistic, then he’s doing actual autistic people a great disservice by portraying them as spoiled brats who make life utterly miserable for everybody who comes into contact with them. If I knew anybody like him in real life I’d honestly never get tired of punching him in the face.

Somebody brought up the point about TBBT’s characters failing to evolve. I would agree. Community’s characters show more evolution than Charles Darwin’s personal journals. Take Chang, for example. In the first season, he was a snarky, antisocial Spanish tutor (who wasn’t actually qualified). He existed as a pain in the student body’s side. He was eventually fired when the revelations about his lack of qualifications were revealed. In the second season, he became a pathetic half-man, desperate for acceptance and approval from people he saw as his social betters. He was still a thorn in sides, but for different reasons: more of an annoyance than an antagonist. Then, in the third season, he gradually went completely insane. He became a campus security guard, went mad with power and ended up employing a personal army comprised of sociopathic middle schoolers, eventually taking over the entire college, acting (and dressing) like a Napoleon-esque dictator. Can you imagine any of the characters from TBBT displaying anything like a similar character arc? No, you can’t.

The two shows can’t be compared, really. TBBT is a bog-standard sitcom that happens to feature jokes about comics and science. Whoever pointed out that it’s basically Two and a Half Men with references to geek culture was spot-on. That’s the only kind of writing Chuck Lorre can pull off. Meanwhile, Community is a different beast altogether. Its closest comparison is probably the late ’90s British show Spaced (starring Simon Pegg). Example: when TBBT makes a pop culture joke, it’s simply in the form of a reference. The reference is the joke, there’s a sprinkling of canned laughter and that’s it. With Community, when the writers want to reference pop culture, they go at it with both barrels (see the paintball episodes, the Pulp Fiction/My “My Dinner with Andre” Dinner with Abed masterpiece, the KFC Apollo 13 odyssey etc). Spaced was the same with late ’90s pop culture (Resident Evil, dance music, paintball again).

Basically, the Community writers and actors commit. They give a shit about what they’re referencing. In fact, “reference” is the wrong word, because referencing pop culture is what TBBT does as a concession, as a means to make nerds think “Hey! These guys are just like me! I’m being represented!” Community, meanwhile, doesn’t reference: it pays tribute. What other show would do an entire episode in a claymation style just to portray one of its characters’ skewed view of the world, or have an episode almost entirely played out in 8-bit video game graphics? The answer is not a single one. Not a single one, because no other show cares as much.

I can’t put it any better than Jeff Winger put it:

“Abed’s a shaman. You ask him to pass the salt, he gives you a bowl of soup. Because you know what, soup is better. Abed is better.”

The Big Bang Theory is salt. Community is soup. Soup is better. Community is better.

27. admin says:

Light Years Better? Some might say Streets Ahead…

28. nomark is dumb says:

The fact that Nomark uses ratings as an argument shows how little intelligence the BBT crowd really has when it comes to good writing.

29. El Tigre Chino says:

Most nerds dont actually like The Big Bang Theory, we already get the joke BEFORE the writers start explaining it for the character that clearly represents how little they think of their audience “Penny”.

You know how explaining the joke ruins it? Evidently nobody told Chuck.

Anyway, on to Community. A brilliant show that doesnt explain its joke… if you arent American (as I am not) and they make a pop culture reference that is for Americans then you better get google ready because there ISNT somebody coming along to spoon feed you.

The reason The Big Bang Theory gets a large audience is precisely because a large number of people get the jokes… and you know why that is? Because they are easy, some might say obvious.

Taking your personal feelings out of it and looking at it objectively, Community IS better. It holds itself and its audience to a higher standard and when you do that you get a better quality product.

I could insult you like some of these other commentors BUT as you can see from my comment simply by liking The Big Bang Theory you admit to being stupid, my pointing it out is only an observation at this stage of the game.

P.S. What are you FOX “news”? Since when did High Ratings = Better? Its almost never the case.

30. El Tigre Chino says:

@admin – You ninja! As soon as I read “light years” I thought “Should have said streets ahead!”.

31. admin says: