empire-of-the-crystal

Want a FREE Breaking Bad T-Shirt?

GeekZenith is giving away 3 entirely awesome Breaking Bad t-shirts! Want one? Then head over to The Great GeekZenith Give Away Page and follow the 3 easy steps to enter.

Dr Who Rumour Mill: The 1st Female Doctor is Actually Happening?

See Ben Browder in the Dr Who Season 7 Premiere

It started as an April Fools joke. The Doctor Who fansite doctorwhotv.com posted a story claiming that new season seven companion Jenna-Louise Coleman would be the first female Doctor Who and regnerate during this years Christmas Special of the show.

Just a funny April Fools rumour, right? Perhaps not.

Mole

A day later, British newspaper The Express ran a story which claimed to have information from a inside mole stating that the showrunners of the cult science fiction show were in fact planning on changing the gender of the doctor and even went on to name a serious contender for the role.

50th Anniversary

However, it won’t come as soon as the Christmas special, the mole says. Apparently it’s being saved for the show’s 50th anniversary next year and Sherlock’s Lara Pulver (who starred as Irene Addler in A Scandal In Belgravia) is in serious contention to land the role.

“The 50th anniversary series will end with a very big twist,” the mole told the Express. “The Doctor becoming a woman will give the show a new lease of life.”

So is it just an elaborate April Fools joke which duped a major UK newspaper or is it really a possibility? Neither option would surprise me, but will a female doctor go over well with the die hard fans? Me? I’m not too sure on the matter. I think Lara’s a great actress, but a woman Doctor? I think they’d have to do something fantastical in order for that notion to sit well with me, but maybe I’m just set in my ways.

What about you? Do you think this is even a possibility? Do you think changing the Doctor’s gender will make the show any less awesome? Please let me know in the comments below!

Check out these related posts of interest::

7 Responses to Dr Who Rumour Mill: The 1st Female Doctor is Actually Happening?

1. kevin says:

it’s not a possibility. it’s an inevitability. Lara P would be great.

2. jade says:

Hmmmm River Song, if the Dr. becomes a female it will destroy most of her story. Beside she is the female version of the Dr. and if they really wanted a female Dr. all they would have to do is bring back the ” Dr’s daughter” which is pretty much his clone in female form. saying…

3. billy bob says:

You folks do realize that there are dual genders for the natives of Galifrey in the storyline.

The Doctor was married to a female of his species AND he had children. Whom all were gone during some big war.

But somehow no one bothers paying attention to the storyline and simply follows some damned “april fool’s” joke.

Morons !

4. Ephel says:

The Doctor is a male of his species, so I don’t think this will happen.

But IF there was a female doctor, I’ll just continue to watch and see how it plays out. I don’t have any problem with that… Actually, this is true with every season of a show: you watch and hope they don’t screw up everything.

Obviously, they would need to think about it well: you cannot just put there a female doctor. Her personality traits should be very well balanced to keep the serie going well.

5. Ephel says:

Ah, I wanted to add…
    As I said, the doctor we know is a male. So the only reasonable way to have a female doctor would be for a “Time Lady” to show up, and inventing a reason for the doctor to disapear for a while.

I wouldn’t appreciate a feminine reincarnation, since it’s quite clear that things don’t work that way.

6. Jenny says:

I doubt this would happen….I agree with Ephel’s comments. Technically there already was a female incarnation of the Doctor- DoctorDonna.

7. whovian says:

I think this would be relatively easy for them to accomplish, actually. It’s been obvious from the beginning that information from the first set of Doctors is not necessarily sworn as true in this second set. While the Doctor has always been male, the possibility of gender swap in regeneration is not necessarily implausible. It would have to be done well to be accepted, but I am not against it. When I was little I used to hope that he would turn into a girl just once, and now we *might * actually see it happen!